Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Switching to Mac

A good friend of mine owns two computers made by Apple and swears by them. Before I met him, I was sceptical about Macs and totally disliked them. What I didn't know was how much they have changed since the last time I used one, which was before the Intel switch. Windows can run natively on a Mac better than on most Windows based machines. Macs don't get viruses. Macs are stable. These are things I learned recently and key points that make me want to switch. Not only is a Mac stable, it can run for days, even months, without needing a restart. All the software you need to be productive is included, and it MUCH better than Microsoft's equivalent software, which costs hundreds of dollars. The hardware is far superior, with DDR3 memory and quick Intel core 2 duos in them. Being made out of aluminium, the Macbooks are light but extremely durable and sturdy due to the uni-body construction.
Being an engineering student, I need to run certain circuitry design programs for school which ONLY run on Windows. This is one of the biggest concerns for me. This can be easily solved by running windows XP, Vista, or 7 in a Virtual machine within OS X for my school program. Another issue I thought of was syncing my Windows Mobile 6 based smartphone with the calender, tasks, and emil on my computer. Under windows, this requires Outlook. Fortunatley, I have found some Mac alternatives which work just as well if not better than Outlook under windows.

So far I have been able to find nothing that will prevent me from being productive with a Mac. If anything, I will be able to work more efficiently because it will just work when I need it to. I will keep updating here when I get my Macbook Pro and I will post any complaints or roadblocks that I run into! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment